About Me

My photo
KICboy - Kicked In (the) Cloisters. That is how I now feel about football. From Charterhouse to the Champions League, the game of the people needs to be returned to the people. Let's end this corporate scope creep! 80s YTS footballer turned Project Manager with a few roles in between whilst I changed my game. I am passionate about football at every level and want to encourage people to WAKE UP! There is no point even looking at the findings of the Government Select Committee Enquiry Into Football Report unless we are going to make a stand and bring about some of the changes recommended. I am offering an alternative vision; an independent candidate for change - Martin Bell in boots, if you like! Do you feel that football is increasingly kicking you in the cloisters? Then read KICboy and The Man(ifesto) - creating the mandate for change. (Illustrations by Gemma Hastilow.)

29 December 2010

End of Year Review

At the start of the year everything seemed full of hope and promise. It ended badly. Way back in February, Terry and June made a nostalgic comeback, but the script was different and Wayne Bridge found himself written out.

Despite an extraordinary qualifying campaign by Captain Capello, confidence was not high for the WC2010 tournament itself. The English Media were going large, as usual. The way some of them were presenting it, we were nailed on to show our ‘spirit’ and ‘tempo’ to quick-step our way through the group before marching on together to the final. It’s like being in an abusive relationship with the British media. Despite your better judgement, you begin to believe what they are trying to tell you so that this time maybe, just maybe....

For example, after the Japan friendly end May, when we managed to win only by way of 2 hari kiris, I see the picture with a haiku:

Rustenberg sun melts
Thoughts of Graz and Wembley grass.
Victory awaits.

After the Algeria game and when we finally staggered out of our group I did another:

Bloemfontein horn fans
Deaf the ear. Acapella
You have no chance here.

My blog started with the Germany game. I am still bemused with the lack of consensus , commitment and direction. Whilst few are reading my blog so far, I am hoping to get a grip and change this in 2011 by deploying a general principle of physics: a little bit of force applied over a large area. Look out for a survey  that will try, for the first time anywhere as far as I am aware, to address the basic problems (see Juror #8 from my 12 Angry Men post, 28 December).

No comments: