About Me

My photo
KICboy - Kicked In (the) Cloisters. That is how I now feel about football. From Charterhouse to the Champions League, the game of the people needs to be returned to the people. Let's end this corporate scope creep! 80s YTS footballer turned Project Manager with a few roles in between whilst I changed my game. I am passionate about football at every level and want to encourage people to WAKE UP! There is no point even looking at the findings of the Government Select Committee Enquiry Into Football Report unless we are going to make a stand and bring about some of the changes recommended. I am offering an alternative vision; an independent candidate for change - Martin Bell in boots, if you like! Do you feel that football is increasingly kicking you in the cloisters? Then read KICboy and The Man(ifesto) - creating the mandate for change. (Illustrations by Gemma Hastilow.)

17 March 2011

Magic and Loss

The infamous magic of the FA Cup was hard to find around the Emirates over recent days. Their FA Cup loss to Manchester Utd was the club’s third significant loss in a fortnight, which must have left Wenger with much soul searching to do. Arsenal continue to play magnificently up to a point – the point where they really need to deliver results, many Arsenal fans now argue, and some of the natives are getting restless.

People calling for Arsene Wenger to quit, though, should consider that Arsenal consistently perform at the highest level and the margins at that level are slimmer than the man himself. Remember that the teams above Arsenal in the English Premier League are in financial wonderland and certainly not operable in any ordinary business sense. So be careful what you wish for – ask Charlton Athletic, Portsmouth or Leeds Utd. Arsenal's losses might be significant in terms of the history books, but any end of year report must encourage them to keep up the good work.

Whilst I am stepping off the pitch at sports coach UK I am already looking forward to the next game.  So, to my old team mates I say good bye and good luck:


REQUIEM FOR A TEAM

I am eight years old. We are Colwood Rangers. We are ploughing up hill first half.
Andy Gough: left winger, leaping squirrel – watch him go. Oh! He’s run out of pitch -
Again. Why does Craggis play him on the left? He is right footed.

I am thirty eight years old, remembering that first game. I scored two goals. I was
Good and got better. I lived for the flow of those hours; weekends when we played.
Then, innocence passed. And I saw how the game is – its horrifying glory.

No comments: